Monday, November 16, 2009

Let the good times roll


So I'm sitting on the computer looking down at Logan who is sitting in a little chair that I'm rocking with my foot. He's glancing around nonchalantly as he unloads in his diaper, typical baby behaviour, and I debate whether to pick him up now, or give him a few minutes to finish up.

Experience has taught me that it's probably better to wait for a few so I get distracted by facebook and dink around for a while.

I glance down and Logan is looking especially cute so I pick him up and give him kisses and snuggle him and nibble his neck and... feel something wet on my arm.

There is mustard all up and down both sleeves of my white shirt.

No. Not mustard.

Baby poop!

I look at my sweet innocent baby and then look at his chair.

Poop.

Look at my hands.

Poop.

Look at my pants.

Poop.

Look at his legs.

Poop.

Look at his clothes.

Poop.

You get the picture. It had come out the bottom of his diaper and was now covering every surface that he may or may not have come into contact with.

Now I pause. Who gets cleaned up first? He is still happy as a clam so he can wait a few minutes, but does that make me a bad mother? Then again, if I clean him first, I'll just transfer stuff from me back onto him.

Sigh.

I figure either way, I'll be cleaning myself up twice so I wash my hands and try to wipe off my shirt and pants as best I can, then tackle the baby. The damage isn't as bad as I thought, looks like he can wait til tonight for his bath (I'm working on a bedtime routine and the bath is part of it). I undress him, get him in a clean diaper and stick him in his crib. Now it's my turn.

There is no way I'm taking these clothes more places than I have to so I go right into the laundry room to undress. Problem, our laundry room doesn't have blinds yet (now a priority) and we have construction workers everywhere. So I'm ducking below the window level and trying to take my clothes off while avoiding the poop and spraying everything with oxy clean.

Meanwhile the baby has realized he's by himself and in his crib so he starts crying, but I need to clean the fabric on his chair before I forget and stick him back in it. This leaves me running around the house in various states of undress trying to get to the baby as fast as I can, dress us both, and make sure everything is clean.

I text Tyson the situation and we decide that we're going out for ice cream tonight.

And I deserve double.

(Innocence)

10 comments:

  1. just wait till he starts eating table food... mmmmmm the aroma of older baby poop. gross.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah. the joys of motherhood. I think after a good week or so of multiple explosions lucy moved up a size in diapers. But sometimes. she just explodes. its so lovely! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh no. mari, this is so funny! the joys of mother hood im sure! p.s. he is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's weird...sounds very similar to my experience this morning. time to talk to devin about his low rider diapering technique.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh what fun. At least it it pre "real food" poop. Now THAT would've been bad. He's a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. as soon as he's sitting up a bit more, get a bumbo. that was reggie's "pooping" place and it worked so nice because there's no fabric to wash. just clorox your little heart out and then you're done!

    get a triple scoop of ice cream. you can say it's for my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha, hooray for poop stories. You can't read them without laughing. You're hilarious and your baby is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You poor thing! Even though I don't have my own little pooper yet I have experienced this before. (Being the oldest of seven children. ) You're a champ and you definitely deserve as much ice cream as you want!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And that's why we women are mothers. Because we can multitask. Men....pffftt...no way could they handle that situation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, the exploding diaper stage. Don't worry, it does end after awhile. With mine it only lasted about three months or so. I don't know if you've heard of bumgenius diapers. Everyone I know says they have NEVER had a blow out when they've used those reusable diapers. Just a thought. They're expensive, but I'm told, totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete