Friday, August 19, 2011

A challenge

So I had this brilliant idea the other day that I should do a Pinterest week, where instead of looking online at fabulous ideas all day then wondering why my house still looks the same, I would instead actually do some of these projects (I know, fancy that) and pull myself out of the virtual world.

Then I'll blog about it every day and suck myself right back in.

If crafting occurs in my house but there is no one to read about it, does it really exist?

Anyway, I decided I am going to pick one pin for each day next week and do it. And I think you should too. Want to make that oreo, chocolate chip cookie, brownie recipe? Now's the time. Stared at the tutorial for how to fold a fitted sheet while yours are still stuffed in a cupboard? Fold 'em up. Want to do your hair like Lauren Conrad? Get out that curling iron!

You don't have to do something every day because I think that's a bit much to spring on you at this point but maybe pick one thing that you will do next week. 

Make it happen, folks!

Don't have Pinterest?

Good for you, your toilets are probably cleaner than mine.

Pick something that you've been meaning to do for awhile and set aside the time to do it.

Let's make next week a week of doing.

And in the spirit of getting things done, I'd like to show you a recent upcycle (turned downcycle) that I jumped in to and, well, essentially failed.

See, one time I had this candle.

I can't find a picture of it - I was dumb and did not take a "before" but it is pretty big and a rusty red color. Well, I decided I didn't like that color so I painted it.

White.

But you could still see the red.

So I put on another coat.

And you could still see the red.

So I gave up.

Because it was gonna be ugly anyway.

Wanna see it?

It's hiding because that's what embarrassing crafts do. They disappear until you can find a way to fix it or make it work in its sad little condition because it's hard to throw things away that might someday be useful/come back in style/distract from another worse craft.
 Little candle?
 I see you...
 I'm sorry you've been reduced to this.
 Let's have a look at you.
 Moral of the story:
Don't paint a red candle with white acrylic paint.

I should try spray paint...

Don't forget to pick your pin! I hope some of you really do this and tell me about it. I'll be starting this Monday!

9 comments:

  1. Or paint your plastic garbage can, or glass utensil holder with acrylic paint. I laughed at this, because I've totally done it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm totally there! i just moved into a new apartment, and i'm gonna go crazy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! SO doing this! :) p.s. I have actually done a few pins. Proud eh? I am going to pick 3 or 4 and do those...since 7 is WAY too many and I can't more than probably 3. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fun! I missed it when Young House Love did it. You should put a little "link up" thing at the bottom of your post about the thing you pinned & then did. Then, we can see what other people did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, so I just heard that young house love did it, and I was like dang! But then I decided I didn't care and I could do it anyway.
    It's on girls! I'll try and figure out how to do links cause that would be fun to see what everyone else is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And by the way steph I have totally been secretly reading your blog. You are too cute! Have fun with your new apartment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! Now if I could convince Jared that I need to make a project every day...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet. I can't do any pins, but I will be editing like a madwoman. Does that count? I'll even put up a new blog post on my photo blog. And MAYBE, just maybe in the next few weeks I'll actually post on my family blog. Yeah, I have one. It is pretty, but empty. Soon....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am doing this!!! I just gotta pick my pin. Oy.

    ReplyDelete