Sunday, April 26, 2009

Go ahead... make my day.

As Tyson and I were leaving Fred Meyer the other day, we happened upon a group of Science Olympiad kids who were selling candy bars. Well Tyson said it was our civic duty to support them as we are adults now and, well... preggo + candy = no brainer so it wasn't a hard sell for me.
As we were about to leave the mom that was with them asked about my pregnancy and when I was due. When I told her September she exclaimed "Oh whoa!!" a little more exuberantly than I was expecting.
At this point I was seriously expecting her to say something like "At this rate it's going to be a loooong summer!" or "Gosh, I thought you were going to say July!" or better yet "So then it's twins, right?" aka the last thing I want to hear right now.
Instead, I got, "You look amazing! Wow, that's great. And believe me I know, I've got three kids. Man, you look so good!"
...
Well, I just about paid that woman another $1.50 to repeat herself into my cell phone so I could make it my ring tone.
It totally made my day.
Moral of the story: even if you're lying always tell a pregnant girl that she looks good. It will do wonders for her self esteem.

8 comments:

  1. Hey science kids were selling unhealthy treats outside our local grocery store too! It must be a nation-wide thing. Yeah and I don't know how come most people believe that pregnant women constantly want to hear how huge they look. Kudos to that mom for knowing what to say! (Of course she had to be a mom!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmmm....was it the chocolate candy bars in the white packaging that's milk chocolate and almonds? i can almost taste it....

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true. I don't understand people who think it's okay to tell a pregnant woman she looks "big". That kind of behavior is just dangerous--haven't they heard about the irrationality and hormones???

    And by the way, she was totally right. You look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get the comment...when are you going to look pregnant? That is the 2nd most annoying question - First....'got any names?'

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup. you are right. i remember people telling me that i was "all baby" and how great i looked... it never got old... and i even started believing it... and then way later after the baby was born and i saw pics of me in the hospital, i was like, DANG my arms are huge! hehehe... nevertheless, whether or not i looked good to those people who told me i did, it got me thru the pregnancy and lots of those blues moments, so i still love them for telling me so!...

    OH... and you really do look awesome--not just sayin' it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Congrats Congrats! We are so excited for you! Thanks for the comment! We are so happy to have a little one in our family...and now even more that you are expecting! I will have to tell Jeff. What great news! Alexis

    ReplyDelete