Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'mturningJapaneseIthinkI'mturningJapaneseIreally thinkso!

Oh hey guys! It's me! Yeah, your friend who used to blog all the time and now can barely do one a week. Sorry. I guess I've got writer's block or something.
Anyway...
I'm so excited because while I was home my dad taught me how to make sushi!! California rolls really, I'm not that into rawness.
I took lots of pictures so I wouldn't forget how to do it and I would love to show them to you. Shall we take the journey together?
The first thing you need to do is get your ingredients ready. Here, we have some egg, cucumber, carrot, avocado, imitation crab, and rice cooking in the background. Slice everything real thin because if you overfill these rolls you will surely regret it. Believe me.
Once the rice is cooked you have to mix it carefully while pouring in a rice vinegar and sugar mixture and you need to keep air blowing on it the whole time. We did this while standing on chairs underneath the ceiling fan. I poured the rice vinegar while he stirred the rice. Very tricky business folks. Not for the weak hearted.
Once the rice is mixed and sticky you have to smoosh it onto the seaweed paper stuff (aka nori if you really want to know. I did want to know so I wikipediad it). I love the way it smells. As soon as I caught a whiff of it I was ready to eat. Like now. Like yesterday. FEED ME!
But we can't eat without filling our rolls with all that delicious goodness. A little more avocado please... yes, now a little more, and more over there, and another slice in the middle...
Roll, squeeze, adjust, roll, squeeze, adjust...
Ta daaaa! Got one!
It was at this point that dad made me relinquish the camera and roll one myself. I was nervous about messing it up but it wasn't too hard!
Here we go!
Woo hoo! That's mine in the front, the kinda open unique one.
Just kidding! Dad was trying to do a different type of roll with that front one, mine was actually the one in the back on the right side. Looks good, no?
A little slicing and dicing and voila! I mean, uh... konnichiwa!
Verdict?
De-lish.

And do you notice me using those chopsticks like a pro? Not easy considering my roll weighed like 3 lbs. and I was wrangling it in and out of sushi sauce.

So who wants a california roll!!??

7 comments:

  1. ah, vewi good. tank you fow taking a pitcha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do, I do! I really love sushi...but Jason hates it...sad day! Those look delicious! I really like it with egg and spam. yummy...it's hawaiian sushi! :) Just so you know my mouth was watering while I was reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha! paige beat me to the punch!...

    yes, black leather couches! do it. do it. do it.
    we just bought some after christmas and we love them! they've already been colored on and it just wiped right off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy-I wonder if my family would eat them????????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks very tasty. Sushi is pretty good. Good job making it and I was impressed you were using the chopsticks. I have never quite figured those out and would rather be able to eat and enjoy my food so I have no patience to learn how to use them! I'm anxiously awaiting pics of your new house as you start decorating it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Konnichiwa! Oishiso----! (You know that mean, right?) Good job captioning the process. Now you are a pro! Personally, I don't care much about avocado in sushi, but they sure look good!

    ReplyDelete