Monday, May 3, 2010

The days of May, Day 3

Would you be so shocked if once again I have a question for you? It's almost like my blog is a reverse 'Dear Abby' where I ask the questions and you all help me with answers.

Tyson and I were thinking of getting a new camera (for my birthday, score!) and I was wondering what you all would suggest. I think we're looking into a digital SLR of some sort but nothing too fancy. I am for sure an amateur and probably always will be so something user friendly would definitely be a good idea.

Any thoughts?

Oh hey, would you like an update on the 'bot'? I love that name by the way Shelly. It has been separated! Tyson tapped it with a hammer a bunch of times and got it apart. It wasn't exactly a pleasant experience for him considering I had last used the pot to boil chicken and the leftover water was trapped in there. Stagnating.

But yes, all is well and I have used both the bowl and the pot several times already, neither of which was too damaged from my less than delicate method of trying to separate them.

5 comments:

  1. I got a DSLR right after Lexi was born. I love taking pictures of her. I got the Cannon Rebel EOS. I love mine. Its the more basic model but I have bought several upgrade lenses and did learn to shoot in manual versus automatic. But I was always told this is a great one to start with. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm probably not the one to tell you, 'cause I don't even know what SLR means. ;) I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 and I like it. It's just a fancy point-and-shoot, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got the Nikon D3000-a very standard SLR that just about every store carries. It was my b-day present in January. It takes great pictures for what I want. I think if you are going to spend the money on a nice camera, I would take a class or get someone to teach me how to use it in manual-meaning changing the aperture and all those fun things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you aren't going to fork out the dough for a Nikon D90 or better, get a Canon Rebel (whichever version you can afford). I shoot Nikon, but for some reason Nikon doesn't feel like putting autofocus drives on their DSLRs with a lower price point... SO if you choose a Nikon below the D90 you won't be able to upgrade to a 50mm 1.8 for shooting in low light (unless you want to manual focus- which is really really hard with kids).I would recommend building the 50mm 1.8 into your budget regardless because you are going to want it. That's a promise.

    If you are looking for an inexpensive option, all my sisters have purchased refurbished Nikon D50's (which are awesome and can be used with non-AF lenses) with a 50mm 1.8 lens for around $450 total. Killer.

    Email me if you have any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ariel and I bought a Canon G9 - it is a high quality "point-and-shoot" you can adjust the aperture and such like an SLR but it isn't so huge and bulky. Plus the quality of pictures is better than that of the lens that comes with most DSLR's (not better than when you buy a separate lens). You can see my food blog for the pictures it takes.

    Trick to any camera - read the entire owners manual. If will tell you how to get the best pics.

    ReplyDelete