Thursday, January 8, 2009

You wish you were me

I've already admitted this once on my blog but I'm going to remind you that I might crochet just a little bit every once in a while. Sometimes I sort of feel embarrassed about it and like to pretend that it's not my favorite hobby (well, next to scrapbooking of course) and that the 300 scarves hanging around the house were not made by me. But it is and they were. I just wish there was another word for it cause "crochet" just sounds so old and, um, crotchety? Am I right? It should be called fiber engineering. Or something...
So in spite of being a 25 year old hottie (heh) who is training for a triathlon (mini) and trying desperately to be moderately cool...

I joined a crochet/knitting group.

I. KNOW.
(I might be one step away from this, I can't really tell.)
Peeps, I'm bringing sexy back in the form of yarn and doilies. Watch out.
I would just like to remind you that in spite of my propensity to love all things nerdy (Tyson and I once spent a whole Christmas break watching star trek marathons, and that's my last confession for the day) I have already gotten up to running 2 miles and biking 10 miles AND our apartment complex has a free tanning bed so I am going to be fine. And that totally trumps any slightly uncool hobbies I might have.
Yeah, that's right.
I am a fine fiber engineering mama.

(Well, not mama. You know what I mean. I just didn't want anyone to think this was some sort of announcement or anything. 'Cause moments like that are always awkward. Believe me, I know. And the word vomit ends... now. )
Picture provided by google images.

12 comments:

  1. Go Mari! You are funny! I think it is great you can crochet and you shouldn't be embarrassed. I think that is COOL you can do it. I wish I could crochet. I think it looks like a great talent. So, way to go on joining a crocheting club and being able to learn to make more cool things. I almost thought that picture at first was a picture of your collection of stuff. WOW! I also think fiber engineering is a great new name for crocheting. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also enjoy *cough* "fiber engineering". Whenever I have a break at school I whip out my skein and my hook and tell my friend, "I'm going to be a grandma now and crochet". It's so addicting though. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you. are. hilarious.
    and totally cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made a blanket once and thought it was fun...but I haven't got back into it, and I have forgotten how...maybe one day I will learn again! How are you enjoying the NW? I miss it! Are you flooded yet? Ha ha ha! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dangit-I thought that was your newly decorated apartment! P.S. I totally feel the same way about making quilts, another truly grandmotherish thing to do-oops, I am a grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess what, Benjy and I are just sitting here together reading your blog and totally cracking up. Thanks for helping us forget about our sucky life you a little bit. BTW-I think Benjy thinks you are more interesting than me. Thanks for that :) jk

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've always admired this about you, mari. Be all you can be. In fact, just be the yarn... be one with it, Mari! Let its fibers continue to brighten your life. amen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mari, your crochet skills are excitement beyond words!!!! Hoorah for fun hobbies that give you a feeling of accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny Mari. I laugh out loud on all of your posts! Hey, crocheting is cool. Although fiber engineering could catch on....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I tried it when I was on bedrest, but I would get too frustrated or too tired and take a nap instead. So, my children did not have beautiful, cozy, Mommy-made crocheted blankets when they were born. Oh, well. It's definitely on my list of 'things to learn how to do to become a domestic goddess'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my first thought was that the pic was where you all met...you know for the official fiber engineering meetings....I was slightly afraid :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I told Shawn what you were up to (the crocheting) and it made him smile and maybe he released a small chuckle. I'm glad you've found something to keep you occupied. Also, good luck on the house hunting!

    ReplyDelete