Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Moab!!!! Part 2

Well I couldn't leave you hangin' out there with only part 1 of our fabulous Moab trip. So here's some more for ya.
Tyson and I found this charming little starter home as we began our hike to the delicate arch. We knew it was perfect the minute we laid eyes on it, but then we noticed something...

It comes with a Mother-In-Law suite!!!!!
Do you see it back there? So excellent you guys, if only it was in Washington. So sad.

But alas, Tyson and I were not here to look at real estate so we continued our climb in search of the most delicate of all arches.

It was about this point that I considered sitting on my bum and sliding down the slick rock back home. So tired...

Tyson and I hiked and hiked and hiked and hiked....
Until we reached an impasse.
A GIANT gorge.
Clearly we had lost the trail at some point and were now HOPELESSLY LOST WITH NO HOPE OF GETTING TO THE ARCH OR GETTING BACK HOME!!!!!!!!!
Just kidding.
We could actually see the arch from our perch atop the cliff, we just needed to find a way to get there...

Which is how I ended up clinging to the side of a mountain with every fiber of my being and every fingernail on my body. Felt like nails on a chalkboard. But the vertigo didn't really set in until I leaned back so my love could take a picture of me. Awesome.

And it only got worse as I looked up to take a picture of my sweet punkin' of love.

But never fear! It all turned out okay as I army crawled the last little way to the arch.
And then we found the real trail back to our car. The super easy trail that no one else had trouble staying on. The safe trail that did not include a death grip on slick rock in order to stay alive. The trail that had signs the whole way back showing us the way.
Huh.
Anyway, on our way back we were able to see some petroglyphs which were pretty cool.

The extremely informative and clever sign informed us that these petroglyphs dated back to sometime between 1650 and 1850.
Oh.
I was expecting something cooler... and older. Like 1350 or 1050 or, well, 50. Oh well, 1850 was still a long time ago.

And as a summary of our trip I leave you with this photo of some crazy yahoo who climbed to the top of a gigantic stone pillar. I was hoping he would cliff dive of that thing but he didn't. Just stood with his arms raised in the air.

I would never do that.

And that stone that you see behind him is not the ground but the top of another pillar.

4 comments:

  1. Glad you made it back safe! Looks real adventurous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with your new starter home! Instead of making it a mother-in-law suite, I would make it a salon....I'm sure I would have a lot of appointments out there. I would probably have to brush up on mullet cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great pictures... I have yet to visit all the arches down there. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete